Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Power of Celine

When someone asks me where I'm from, they usually do so like this: "Are you American or British?" When I answer that I'm from Canada, more often then not their answer is either "I love Celine Dion!"or, "Haha, you like Celine Dion."

I'm amused by this. Celine Dion has never been such a large part of my life. Now, it seems like I'm talking about every her other day. People have told me how inspired the are by her story of being in a large family and overcoming poverty. Did you even know she was poor? Cause I didn't.

On the first day after Ross and I landed in Holland we went to a café and Celine was belting out "All by myself . . . " If we weren't together, I probably would have burst into tears. In fact, a lot of Canadian songstresses are quite well-represented in this part of Europe. It is very common to hear Celine, Avril, Alanis, Nelly, and Diana in restaurants or coming from people's cars. Everyone now and then I even hear Feist.

Another Canadian we hear all the time is Bryan Adams. Seriously. They love that guy over here. He even has a star on the Rotterdam Walk of Fame. How many people can say that?

1 comment:

Thomas J. Brown said...

The Arrogant Worms have a song called Celine Dion, wherein the singer humorously professes his love for the songstress. It makes me laugh every time.