Saturday, November 17, 2007

Sinter-chaos

I have a really funny video of the mayhem before the Sinterklaas parade, but Blogger is having problems posting it. So, I'll just give you a play-by-play.

It starts with someone throwing mini cookies into the crowd, which encourages children in their weird costumes to run from the other side of the street to collect them.


The kids were picking them up off the ground and putting them in their mouths. As they were doing this, more and more cookies are hitting everything in sight.


To express his joy, this kid starts bouncing around in a strange Zwarte Piet jig-like thing, as the young child in the background crawls under a car for a cookie.


I pan the camera and catch this kid in the red hat, just as he's about to throw a handful. He's scanning the crowd for a target, and when he sees me, he takes aim. . .


and fires! At this point, there is much jiggling of the camera, as I'm being pelted with cookies. (Note that other kid on the left. I don't trust those eyes.)


The mad dash for cookies is now taking place directly in front of me.


This little "bull-in-a-china-shop" gets in on the action. I think she ran from across the city when she heard there were cookies up for grabs. Look at the determination in her face: she only has one think on her mind. Cookies.

In the meantime, a hailing of cookies continues to spatter upon me.


This little girl is witnessing the measures her competition has gone to, to get the prize. Apparently there were cookies behind my feet, and that hell-bent little blond girl isn't just climbing all over my feet to get the cookies, she pries my legs apart to climb through.


As I'm losing my balance, I turn the camera to see who's throwing cookies at me, and it's that kid with the untrustworthy eyes! I knew it!


And now he's all shy. He knows I have evidence.


Blondie resurfaces from under the crowd's feet, no doubt with a Sinter-sack full of cookies. The competition on the left knows that although she's the one wearing the fancy costume, Blondie is the reigning champion of the cookie-scramble.


After this, Blondie skips away, like a sweet little girl.

The End.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ross and Grace
Well it was a miracle that you stayed on your feet with all those kids after the cookies just like halloween around here.I am ejoying the blog keep up the good work take care all mylove from kathie and jake

3 Column Grid said...

I can't stop loling. Awesome. :D

Megatron said...

Those kids are intimidating! I think it's all in the bangs with blondie there.