Sunday, February 24, 2008

Nothing new

I haven't been doing a great job of posting lately, but there's just nothing really to report. Ross is busy with school, and I'm just working. I'm currently finishing a 400-page book about the importance of alliances – something I've come to learn as integral to the Dutch business model. This book should be quite a nice portfolio piece for a couple reasons. First of all, there are many diagrams and figures I had to complete by hand. This was a challenge because I'm not an illustrator, but I'm quite happy with how they were resolved. And secondly, I think this book looks better than it is because it's in anther language. When you're not distracted by how dry the text is, you just see the design.

The most complicated illustration required me to create an expressionless, simplified person that was neither a man or a woman that had both dreams and realizations at the same time. Why this was so hard for me, I'll never know, and when you see the result, neither will you. Every time I came up with something I was happy with my employer would say, "but that's a man." And back to the drawing board I went.

Here is a glimpse into my process:


And the chosen person in context:

Yup, it's a stick figure. Can you believe I even went to art school?

1 comment:

Megatron said...

I like the egg-shaped she-male with the hopes and dreams. I totally get that.