Saturday, February 16, 2008

Valentijnsdag

Valentine's Day has come and gone for another year, and no, it is not a big deal in The Hague, despite what anyone may tell you. People kept telling me that it's getting to be a bigger deal each year, and although this may be true, it came and went without almost any mention.

A few people told me that they think it's commercial and foolish – exactly what I heard about Halloween. I guess I just love commercial holidays. They're fun.

This is what I got for Valentine's Day this year:


Yup, my name carved in stone!

See, when we decided to come to The Hague, I wanted Ross to name his typeface after me. He thought I was joking, but I wasn't. I really wanted a typeface named after me (and still do). I've come to terms with the fact this isn't going to happen this year, and this is his compensation.


In Ross' stone-carving class, they each had to pick one word to carve, and he chose my name. Isn't that romantic? Although I choose to believe it's his ultimate devotion that drove him to create this, it's worth noting that the letters g, r, a & e are some of the most formative letters of a typeface. So, maybe my name was a convenient choice.

Regardless, I love it. No one's ever carved my name in stone before.


What's so foolish and commercial about that?

1 comment:

3 Column Grid said...

so romantic... :)

Ross! You best be naming your typeface after your old lady!