Thursday, October 11, 2007

Excuses, excuses

The reason I've been kind of slacking off in my posts is because I'm now a working woman. This is a good thing! I just finished my second week at my new job (although I only go on Dinsdag, Woendsday en Donderdag).

The studio I work at is small, and is just myself and the owner. She is very nice, and I am quite happy. These past two weeks I've been working on a website for a photographer, and an identity for an industrial design firm that specializes in bio-plastics.

I posted before about the building this studio is housed in. It's an old cigarette factory that has been refurbished to house 50 creative studios. Phase II is opening next year with another 50. It's a pretty amazing idea.

I'll give you a tour. This is the front entrance of Cabrello Fabriek, aka: CabFab, the name of the space. It has that industrial/design look that is so familiar to any alum of ECI.


This in the front door to the studio I work in. The doors to every studio are the same sliding glass. The insides are a free for all, and many are adorned with all sorts of creative furnishings. The studio I work in is very sophisticated.

My desk is on the left. If you look closely you can see I'm designing on a brand-new imac. It's one week old, and it's incredible. There's 250 GB of space on that thing! It's so luxurious that it's making me seriously consider owning a desktop computer when the time comes to replace my dear old Powerbook (but I don't ever want that to happen :)

Outside the window is a big canal that I watch barges float past all day long. Supposedly this canal goes to Rotterdam. It's amazing to watch these huge boats corner in such a tight space. On the other side of the canal is a crane that picks up huge piles of dirt all day. I really like the scenery.


Also in the studio is a little table for meetings with clients. This is where I had my interview. It is also the cake cutting table, if it is your birthday (it was Claudia's birthday yesterday.)


There is also this other little sitting area, but I'm not sure what for. It's kind of like a waiting room, but the concept of a waiting room only works if there's more than one room. It's just plain rude to make someone wait if they can see you checking your email on the other side of the room. Regardless, it looks handsome.


In the factory, there are boardrooms that a studio can rent to have meetings in. Each one is different, and they are all very cool.

The highlight of CabFab is the cafeteria where I eat lunch every day. Yes, those are real swings.


Every day as I eat lunch and everyone around me is speaking Dutch, I stare at the mural of factory workers, and eavesdrop really hard. So far, not so good. Every now and then I'll recognize one word, like a number, or mooi (which means beautiful), and I'll be really happy. But when someone is speaking for five minutes straight and you only know they said something was beautiful and there was eight of it, it isn't exactly comprehension.


I think CabFab is mooi.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It looks amazing. When you come back (IF you come back) you need to take what you've seena dn replicate it in vancouver. except vancouver is sooooo not as cool so it will be very very hard. But I think u can do it.

xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

yes working ladies do not have much time to do things. Keep up the good work and interesting blogs when ever you can as I really enjoy them. I am going to be a great Aunty again in May as Greg and Susan are expecting another baby.I saw Emma last night and she was really good and fun to be around with. take care much love from kathie and jake

3 Column Grid said...

OMG. You need to stop posting all these amazing things, Gracelet (but don't)!

You should rent a dinghy or row boat and take a trip down (or up?) the canal to Rotterdam! That would be a weekend.

Anonymous said...

Slacking off? Sure doesn't look like it! Posts every or every other day!

It's very mooi! My goodness. I'm so jealous. Congrats on the job, too! It must be relaxing only working 3 days/week. Can you show us what you're working on when it's done? :)