Monday, September 3, 2007

Guess what, folks. . .

I'm typing this on my own computer! That means that we're in our new apartment, and our belongings have arrived! This is like the best Christmas ever.

We knew that FedEx was to deliver our boxes anywhere between the hours of 9-6pm, but we didn't get the keys to the place until 10am. So, Ross & I trudged over here from the B&B we were staying at, and camped out on the sidewalk in front of the building at the stroke of nine.

This actually proved to be quite a good decision, as our downstairs neighbor came outside to watch her young daughter walk down the street, and noticed the Canadian flag on my backpack. She then introduced herself, and told us that she and her husband were also Canadian (Montreal), and have lived in Den Haag for the past four years. They have the one young daughter, and three month old twin boys. She was very nice, and let Ross use her Internet to check on FedEx, more than once. She is a great resource for how to settle in, and I imagine we will be asking her many questions in the future.

We waited all day for FedEx. Ross & I took turns leaving to run errands like buy cleaning supplies (the Dutch word for 'clean' is schoon, and this apartment was not. . . cat hair everywhere. Ick.), and getting keys cut. One of us stayed glued to the window all day.

We waited, and waited, and waited. Our furniture doesn't come until tomorrow, so Ross & I began figuring out how we were going to sleep on the hardwood floors with nothing but the clothes we took on our holiday. We waited and waited. Anytime a loud truck drove by, we ran to the windows. Anytime a white van pulled up our street, I got excited, but no. No FedEx.

Finally, after 6pm, Ross decided to call his dad to ensure the address was correct. As he was gone, I heard the sound of a large truck out the window, and even though I'd completely given up, there is was, a white Mercedes-Benz van, with the familiar purple and orange logo. It was so exciting!

I instantly tore open the boxes and sorted through the items I packed one month ago. . . I'm so happy to see my new – but old – clothes. When I came to my computer, I stopped, and ended up writing this. So, I'm going to finish with the rest of our things, and come back and post some pictures.

No comments: