Friday, September 14, 2007

I bought this:


When I was in my interview yesterday, I was told that my biggest hindrance as an employee would be that I don't speak any Dutch, and she would be nervous about me answering the phone. I guess they have a point.

Language classes are very expensive (€ 400), and although I want to take one, it will have to be something for another day. Instead for € 25'95, I got myself a key to the job market.

I've been told that the best way to learn a language is to watch Sesame Street and read Children's books. This kit above recommends borrowing children's books on tape from the public library, but warns that some children's literature is not stimulating to adults. Good thing there's a warning; I'd hate for someone to be disappointed by the lack of character development in The Three Little Pigs.

So far, I've got the alphabet. I kind of sound like this. Step 2 is to string the letters together, and I'm laughing!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

is there a particular "dutch laugh"?

Grace said...

yah, it's really flat.

haha. get it?

Anonymous said...

Hi Grace and Ross
I was given your web page address by your brother and Dad. I am glad everything is going good for you and enjoying the new experice and country customs over there. I will log in frequently to read the update of you stay in holland for a year. have you bought a pair of wooden shoes yet?Keep all the story's and pictures coming. Will miss you this christmas but you and Ross will have lots to share when you come back to Canada next year. all my love from kathie and jake take care and be safe