Friday, September 28, 2007

werk

I should have mentioned this a few days ago, but I got the job at that design studio. It's just one lady that owns and operates it, and it seems like such a great opportunity for me. It's only part-time and I'll have to find something else eventually. But in the meantime, it's great.

I had another interview yesterday with a publisher for a freelance job. They specialize in publications for Expats, so I figured I was a pretty good candidate to design for them. One of the biggest benefits is that everything they publish is in English. I've already been given an assignment. The publisher is proposing to create a handbook about Dutch life for kids who move to Holland, and has asked me to create the presentation for him to give to investors. Because this project is so young, I have a lot of freedom which is great. Basically I have to research what kids aged 7-14 are into, and come up with a visual language for the book. If the project is given the green light, I'll be the designer for it. I hope this happens, not just because I want the work but because I'm already thinking about all the fun stuff I'm going to learn about this country, like about candy, theme parks, swimming pools and all that great kid stuff.

For the record, the reason why he considered me for this project was because I sent him a portfolio. He saw my Big Things in Small Towns project, and thought this project could be in a similar vein. (I've shown that project to three Dutch people, and they are amazed that "Big Things" exist in North America. One of my favourite comments was "You would never have these in Holland. There are too many committees that would not approve of this.")

I also was supposed to have another interview today at a different studio, but it was canceled and will be rescheduled on Monday. Supposedly the studio director was "stuck in Amsterdam". Like, is he immersed in glue? I was bummed when it was canceled, but understand that these things happen. This studio is really awesome, so keep your fingers crossed for me.

There's still one other studio that said they want to set up an interview, as well. So hopefully one of these leads will amount to full-time work.

4 comments:

3 Column Grid said...

Congrats Grace! That's awesome.

Tip: the kids are into STICKERS AND PUPPIES AND MYSPACE.COM!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Grace I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.I am sort of getting busy with work and also trying to find another job that will have more hours and such as I am loosing lots of hours and not getting any new clients and such I have a job interview coming up this week at columbia view lodge and I have had one with home support also and one of my clients I have has asked me to do somethings for them and one I have gone private on as they did not want any one else and only me. They did not like the way the boss was handling the company and they only want me so that is good. Well better get the floors washed and get something to eat as Joanne is here visiting the area for the weekend take care all my love from kathie and jake

Megatron said...

Congratulations Grace! If you find yourself with a little time before you start working a ton, you guys should head down to Zeeland. It's a pretty interesting part of the country and might still be nice this time of year. There's DUNES! There is also another city that I'll find the name of for you. It used to be a huge port, but now it's pretty much landlocked because of the dikes. It looks like it was frozen in time.

Claire said...

do enjoy the part time while it lasts, for i'm sure you'll be super busy before you know it.

which place is it that you are designing at - was that the one you put up their website earlier?